by Monica Yearwood
Ayurvedic Fertility Program Begin at least 3 months before attempting to conceive as eggs take 3 months to mature and sperm take almost 4 months to generate. Optimum fertility involves the quality of the digestive fire, the quality of the reproductive organs, healthy nutritive tissues and freely-flowing circulation.
Get an assessment to understand what your current constitution and imbalance type is, and so that Monica can build a fertility program just for you
1. INDIVIDUAL CONSTITUTION REQUIREMENTS
Understand what the woman’s dosh and doshic type is for optimal pregnancy.
Ayurveda teaches period should occur around every 26-30 days and last about 5 days
2. DETOXIFICATION PROGRAM (1 – 3 months depending on constitution/toxins)
The first step is to cleanse the body. Specifically of heavy metals or environmental toxic residues.
3. REJUVENATION (1-3 months)
A. Tonics and Fertility Enhancing Herbs
After proper detoxification we can safely begin to rebuild the body using fertility enhancing herbs. These can be continued until conception is confirmed. At this time, herbs are generally stopped and the mother focuses on a sattvic diet instead.
B. Adopt A Sattvic Diet
Ayurveda teaches a sattvic diet is most nutritive for fertility. See ‘Sattvic Diet’ attachment for details. C. Adopt Rejuvenation Lifestyle Practices Daily Abhyanga Massage D. Aloe Vera. Take organic aloe vera juice throughout the cycle from day 7 until day 28 to cleanse and nourish the tissues
Get an assessment to understand what your current constitution and imbalance type is.
SATTVIC DIET FOR FERTILITY
A sattvic diet is nutritive, but especially for our reproductive tissues. Ayurveda teaches that our entire body is made from the foods that we eat, and that the creation of our body happens in a very successive manner that cascades through 7 primary tissue levels of the body. The first is the rasa (plasma) of the body, and the last are our reproductive tissues.
- A sattvic diet can be followed at any time in life, but especially during conception (for both men and women) because it optimizes fertility, and the strength the of the egg and sperm.
- Ayurveda teaches that is also optimizes the well being of the baby, and gives her contentment, physical strength and joy.
- A sattvic diet can be followed through the duration of pregnancy as well.
- General practices of a Sattvic Diet
- Do not overeat. Make sure that you leave 1/4 of your stomach capacity free.
- Do not under-eat, and keep meal times regular.
- Leave 4-6 hours between meals, so no snacking!
- The previous meal is digested when the breath is clean and the body feels light.
- Eating between meals weakens the digestive fire.
- Eating cold, wet, heavy foods weakens the digestion, so food should be warm.
- Avoid ice, chilled drinks and eating cold foods straight from the fridge.
- Drink hot water and herbal teas to stimulate the digestive fire.
- Follow a diet appropriate to your age, sex, constitution and the time of year.
- Eat organic food and herbs.
Ajwan, saffron, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon, and cumin. Freshly made yogurt, ghee, and milk. All sweet, ripe and juicy fruits. Dates. Almonds (especially when soaked and peeled). Asparagus. Honey.
Other Fertility Enhancing Foods
- Grains: Rice (especially basmati or red rice), oats, quinoa
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, sesame and pumpkin seeds
- Dairy: Milk, cream, ghee
- Rose water prepares the uterus for implantation
- Seafoods: Seaweeds
- Papaya and pineapple make ovulation easier.
- Vegetables: Asparagus, sweet potatoes, beetroot
- Flowers: Roses (eg rose-water or jam), saffron, jasmine, flower pollen Fruits: Dates, pomegranates, figs, grapes, blueberries
- Herbs: Organic ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), shatavari (Asparagus racemosa), Kapikacchu (Mucuna pruriens), gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), bala (Sida cordifolia), Chywanaprash; plus organic aloe vera juice
Large amounts of basil, eggplant, tomato, and bell pepper. Also, avoid foods that are too hot or spicy, or too heavy and cold (such as ice-cream). Caffeine should also be limited, especially if you’re having trouble conceiving. Refined carbs, such as white bread, pasta and rice (sugar rounds out my list of “heroine foods”), Cutting back on meat consumption.